Well, our annual springtime teaser looks like it is in full swing with tomorrow being chilly again. Here we are about to be in the sweatshirt weather again, which to be honest, is fine with me. It means cozy comfort food like this Tomato Florentine Soup. I love this soup with fresh sourdough -or if you’re not vegan, these Cheddar and Herb Biscuits.
TIME 3 Hours
large stock pot
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 diced onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon garlic
1 large chopped carrot
1 pound spinach, divided in half
(2) 28ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 quarts vegetable stock
¼ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tablespoon oregano
1 bay leaf
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in olive oil until onions are translucent and edges are starting to brown a bit.
- Add remaining ingredients, but reserve half of the spinach. Simmer for 2 hours on low.
- Remove bay leaf and purée with immersion blender to a texture of your liking. Alternatively, you can purée the soup in batches using a regular blender.
- Stir in the remaining spinach when you are ready to serve. Garnish with a lemon twist or parsley sprigs.