I posted recently about an amazing vegetarian mushroom stuffing recipe that I’ve been making for the past few years for our annual Friendsgiving (skipping this year for obvious reasons). I mistakenly said that it was vegan but if you are looking to make it vegan there are a few easy swaps: instead of butter I would use either vegetable stock or vegan butter and there is another part where the bread uses an egg as a binder, I read that flaxseed or tapioca starch would work as a binder replacement. I haven’t tried either but would love to hear if you do.
Vegetarian Stuffing Recipe with Mushroom and Wild Leeks
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 cups white cooking wine
- handful fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 baguette, cut in half and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a small bowl pour 1 1/2 cups hot water over dried porcini mushrooms and let it sit until the mushrooms get soft, about a half-hour.
- Transfer mushrooms to a cutting board and chop into small pieces, leave any liquid behind and reserve for future use.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add shitake and button mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes
- Add leeks and garlic and saute for 5 minutes
- Add wine, thyme, and porcini mushrooms. Cook until most of the wine is evaporated about 5 minutes and stir it occassioanlly.
- Transfer all these items to a large bowl. Mix in bread, egg and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish
- Add in some of the reserved mushroom liquid to keep the dish moist.
- Transfer stuffing to baking dish
- Bake for about 40 minutes, uncovered, and until it is heated all the way through.
What do you think? Does this sound like a recipe you might try? If you love mushrooms (which I know is controversial) then you will love this dish. It’s great to bring to a potluck where you know there will be vegetarians in attendance as well.